Architectural Specifications Writer
We have an exciting opportunity for an Architectural Specifications Writer to join our team.
We are currently seeking a talented Architectural Specifications Writer to join our teams in one of our locations including Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver or Victoria. The ideal candidate is passionate about architecture, has a strong design sensibility, works well with teams, and appreciates the process of articulating design through the architectural specifications. While being located in or near one of our 4 major city center locations is an asset, it is not a requirement to becoming a part of our team. Kasian’s approach to a hybrid work environment allows applicants to join our team from across the country, supporting our endeavours to connect and collaborate over multiple time zones by giving us the flexibility of working from home.Apply
- Interpret architectural, engineering and interior design plans and prepare material lists and specifications to be used as standards by contractors related to building construction activities.
- Analyze plans and details or diagrams, observe and makes notes on materials to prepare specifications for construction activities.
- Write technical descriptions specifying material qualities and properties, utilizing knowledge of material standards, construction processes or manufacturing procedures.
- Conduct quality reviews of construction documents while researching and preparing specifications.
- Research innovative products and systems, assisting in maintaining and developing the firm library of catalogues and other information for designers and architects to use.
- Prepare project manuals including general conditions with an in-depth familiarity with the various CCDC contracts and client supplementary conditions.
- Coordinate progress and bid set printing orders and assure that documents are ready for printing, signing, sealing and distribution.
- Develop specification requirements and solutions.
- Work with project teams to develop documents throughout project phases.
- Stay current on product development, new materials, code changes and industry trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, diploma in architectural technology or another construction‐related field.
- 10+ years of experience in a range of architectural skills with a minimum of 5 years of experience writing specifications.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Proficient in operating in Word, Excel and Revit.
- Experience in the construction industry, including but not limited to architecture firms, architecture‐engineering firms, construction management or specification consulting firms.
- Knowledge of building codes, industry standards, structures and materials standards.
- Practical knowledge of Construction Management delivery methodology, and Canadian Construction Document Committee (CCDC) contracts.
- Ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to organize, schedule time for and process multiple projects at once.